Gearing up for your first day on the slopes? Please click a topic below for pointers that will best prepare you for your adventure.
Remember that temperatures vary at different times of day and on different mountain areas, and you might be outside longer than you planned. Here is a list of things you'll need:
- several non-cotton layers- long underwear, turtleneck, etc.
- ski/snowboard socks (poly-pro or wool), put these on just before your ski/snowboard boots
- water-repellent outer layers
- warm mittens or gloves
- helmet or hat
Helpful Hint: Wait until after you get your rental equipment and are ready to go outside before you put on your final layers. If you happen to forget something, our Retail Shop is likely to have what you need.
Use the right equipment.
Avoid borrowing equipment from your friends or family that could be outdated, unsafe, or not sized correctly for you. Rent equipment that is suited for your needs. Our Rental Shop, located in the Northwoods Lodge, has the latest technology in beginner equipment, and we keep it tuned and maintained. We'll help you find the right gear.
Before you hit the slopes.....
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need a reservation to take a lesson?
Reservations, although not required, are highly recommended for private lessons, Mountain Adventure Programs, and specialty weekend and 1-day clinics, as these programs will sometimes sell out. Please call (518) 251-2411, x1004, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Reservations are not necessary for ages 13+ in daily class lessons.
What time should I arrive?
Getting to the mountain early is always a good idea. The lifts open at 8:30am and morning lessons gather at 9:45am, but the Rental Shop and Snow Sports Center open at 8:00am. The food court is open at 7:30, so join us for breakfast and coffee.
What time do lessons meet?
Morning lessons for kids and adults meet at 9:45am, so plan at least 45 minutes to get your rental equipment and get out to your lesson line up. Afternoon lessons meet at 1:15pm daily, with an additional 10:45am session for ages 13+ on Saturday, Sunday, and during holiday periods.
Where should I go first?
Beginners should go to the Snow Sports Center in the Northwoods Lodge first. There you will be able to purchase your lift tickets, all lesson products, and rentals in one convenient location. From the Northwoods Lodge you can walk out the door with your equipment to our base area, with children already secured in our Mountain Adventure Center.
Where do I store my personal belongings while I am skiing or riding?
The Base Lodge and Northwoods Lodge rental shop have coin-operated lockers. You can also use our Bag Check at the Lost & Found desk in the Base Lodge, available Saturday, Sunday, and during holiday periods, with in/out access to your bag throughout the day for just $5.
Should I take a lesson?
Our ski and snowboard instructors are highly trained to teach you the proper techniques, with learning styles best suited for you. A lesson will help you learn quickly and efficiently, to make your day fun and successful.
What is the best age to start skiing or riding?
We have lessons for all ages. Mountain Adventure lessons are for skiers and snowboarders ages 4-12, those younger can take a private lesson, and we offer value-packed beginner packages for ages 13+. Our instructors are very student centered and will help you learn at your own pace, whatever your age.
Is it easier to learn to ski or to snowboard first?
Whichever sport peaks your interest is the one you should learn. They both are fun and exciting. It's your choice!
What other services do you offer for when I'm not skiing or riding?
There are a variety of Mountain Services at Gore to make the most of your time with us, such as different dining options, tubing, or massage. Visit our Mountain Services page for more information.
Special Notes for Parents
Please consider the following when putting your child in our Mountain Adventure programs
- Advanced reservations are strongly recommended especially during holiday periods. Please call (518) 251-2411, x1004 or email email@example.com.
- A parent must complete program specific registration forms including Release of Liability on or before the first program day.
- All children 12 & under are required to wear a helmet during all Snow Sports School programs.
- Please be on time. Plan ahead for time to register your child in our program, pick up rental gear, etc. Lessons go out on time. Late arrivals may not be accommodated.
- A parent must remain on Gore Mountain premise if your child is participating in our Mountain Adventure Program.
- Please inform us of any special arrangements or needs your child may have (i.e. dietary, medication, learning styles, interacting with adults and/or other children, etc.) so that we can best serve your child.
- Gore Mountain staff will not administer medications. If your child needs medication during the day, please make arrangements with our staff for you to give your child their medication.
- Children in Mountain Adventure lessons may need to ride lifts with an adult, and therefore may ride lifts with members of the skiing public, or other Gore staff.
- Class sizes are generally six students per instructor, but may be larger or smaller. Gore Mountain reserves the right to combine classes when needed.
- Gore Mountain staff reserve the right to move your child to the appropriate class level.